Friday, June 23, 2006

Bye-Bye Band


When I was in college (the first time) I was in a band. We called ourselves Eleanor Blushes and played a hard-to-peg brand of music that was all over the joint -- blues, rock, butt-rock, grunge, disco, jazz. You name it, we played it. (Badly at first, but we got pretty decent by the end.)

Part of the reason we blew so much in the beginning is because we cluttered the sonic landscape with three guitar players, a bass player and three "lead" singers. Dude! At the most we should have had two guitar players and one singer. In a word, we lacked focus. (Okay that's three words, and that's my point.) Compounding matters, at times I fancied myself a "tortured musician" and wanted our lyrics and songs to be dark and artistic. The reality was if we wanted to play gigs in Provo (Utah, not Spain) we had to be a college house party band. That meant uptempo crowd pleasers that "had a good beat and that people could dance to." In retrospect, we probably should have called the band "Eleanor Schizophrenic."

Reason two: our first drummer couldn't keep time. Please note that this is not a good quality in a drummer. When he got married and moved to Texas, we all secretly rejoiced. Wherever he is, I hope he's doing well (in a steady 4/4 kind of way).

Finally, we had some creative differences. As the lead singer and rhythm guitarist, I was the de facto leader and made the song choices (hey, I had to sing them). The lead guitarist never really got what I was aiming for, sonically speaking. I tired of telling him that he wouldn't be playing that "Freebird-esque" solo for eight minutes. And he tired of me bossing him around. Eventually, he started another band in SLC that was heavy duty butt-rock. I heard him play a couple shows. Not bad if you're into Poison, Aerosmith, crap, etc.

So it went. EB eventually evolved into a three piece, then back to a four piece. We changed our name to Kent, then to Vaughn, then to Spartacus (turns out the Swedes have the corner on Kent and Vaughn, damn them)! Spartacus stuck, although I got the feeling the bass player never really dug it.

We started playing less frequently. Then we only played on special occasions. Now we don't play at all. Kind of sad, but that's what should happen to college bands, I think. At least really unfocused ones with drummers who can't keep time. Hey, we can't all be the Rolling Stones, who will probably be coming out on stage soon with the help of walkers, can we?

3 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Blogger Derek said...

I'm pretty sure I attended at least one show each of EB, Vaughn and Spartacus. I may have seen a Kent show, but I can't be sure. Either way, these were ward parties never to be forgotten. I was always giddy with furtive schoolboy mirth as Astroglide slipped repeatedly in and out of the many innocent, unsuspecting ears.

Now I'm waiting the requisite 20 years for a "Cream of Madsen" box set, which will cost $429 at Best Buy. It will come with an authentic EB portrait and easel. They know all too well what devoted fans will pay.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger CL said...

Mick Jagger with a walker, still hot.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Matt, Rach, Samus, Little-O, & Hank the Tank said...

So I got my guitar out tonight just to see if my amp still worked, and inside I found a piece of paper on which was scrawled the lyrics to attack of the killer bees. Do you remember the chords to the interlude of that song?

So I screw around for awile with my guitar. And then, on a whim, I go to my computer and search Eleanor Blushes and Provo. Up pops this post.

Nice blog.

You know what kind of music we should have written. The Giraffes. You ever listen to those dudes. Not the gay punk rock band. The side project of PUSA. They write nonsensical but catchy songs that won't leave my head, like Chocolate Dimension and Lonley Chicken.

So do I ever get to come see your house?

M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home